Many Sei development standards focus on token interfaces. These standards help ensure smart contracts remain composable, so for instance when a new project issues a token, that it remains compatible with existing decentralized exchanges.
Here are some of the most popular token standards on Sei:
- TokenFactory: This offers a standardized mechanism for creating fungible tokens, which are interchangeable and identical. These tokens can embody various digital assets like voting rights, virtual currencies, or staking tokens. They are also native
sdk.Coinsand come with a variety of native functionality
- CW721: This contract provides a standard approach for handling non-fungible tokens. These are unique and are not interchangeable with any other token. Examples could include ownership rights to a piece of artwork, or the licensing for a specific song.
- CW20 [Deprecated]: Although not recommended, this contract provides another approach for handling fungible tokens. Similar to ERC-20 standard, contracts can implement this specification. CW20 contracts provide a standardized framework for the issuance, transfer, and tracking of fungible tokens.
The Sei Foundation strongly recommends dapps use
sdk.Coinsover CW20 tokens for the following reasons:
- Performance: Less computational cost and thus less gas fees for using natively integrated TokenFactory
sdk.Coinsas opposed to interacting with CW20 contracts
- Security: Tokens created with native module TokenFactory are
sdk.Coinsand share the same security model as the base blockchain. With CW20 smart contracts, there may be risks that poorly written or malicious contracts create security issues
- Standardization: Tokens created with native module TokenFactory are
sdk.Coinsand are directly integrated with the
bankmodule. They offer better interoperability and are more accessible to bridging (like IBC)
- Simplicity: For basic fungible tokens that do not require extra functionality of a CW20 or similar smart contract, using native module like TokenFactory is simpler and more straightforward